San Marcos Housing Authority (SMHA)*
- Public Housing – Sites: Allen Woods Homes (125 duplex units), CM Allen Homes (100 duplex units), Porter Homes (8 apartment units), Scattered Site (26 individual homes). Apply at Allen Woods Homes, 1201 Thorpe Lane. Preference is given to Hays County residents, including applicants who live or work in San Marcos (or who have accepted a job in San Marcos but have not yet relocated). Average wait time: 6 months to 4 years, depending upon bedroom size. 512-353-5059.
- Chapultepec Family Self-Sufficiency Program – Special project (30 apartments). Program participation required. Must be motivated to succeed. Apply at 701 South LBJ Drive. Preference is given to Hays County residents, including applicants who live or work in San Marcos (or who have accepted a job in San Marcos but have not yet relocated). Average wait time: 3 months to 1 year, depending upon bedroom size. 512-396-3364. We are accepting 3 and 4-bedroom applications for the Family Self-Sufficiency program at the Chapultepec Homes at this time.
- Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program – WAIT LIST CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Rental assistance for persons living in privately-owned housing (228 voucher-holders). Apply at Allen Woods Homes, 1201 Thorpe Lane. Preference is given to Hays County residents. 512-353-5061.
- Springtown Villa – Project-based Section 8 rental assistance for 60 apartments. Apply at 503 Springtown Way. Must be elderly or disabled. Average wait time: 9 – 12 months. 512-396-3363.
* All SMHA housing is filled from the waiting list for each program. There is no emergency housing. Rent is based on income. The wait can be less than or more than the averages listed above.
Project-based Section 8 rental assistance (rent based on income for 40 apartments) and “market rate” units (reduced rent for 12 apartments). Apply at 601 River Road. There are no preferences. Average wait time: 3 months to 3 years, depending upon bedroom size. 512-353-1593
Hays-Caldwell Women’s Center – McCoy Family Shelter
Temporary shelter for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. Clients also receive case management services, legal advocacy, and individual & group counseling. Children receive counseling, support groups, and children’s activities. Residents of Hays or Caldwell Counties get priority. 512-396-4357 or 800-700-4292.
Southside Community Center – Homeless Shelter/New Life Program
Homeless persons are welcome to eat, shower, and wash clothes during the day. Overnight shelter is only for approved applicants who will have 30 days to show they are making progress toward goals before being granted a 30-day extension. Maximum stay: 120 days. Apply at 518 South Guadalupe Street. 512-392-6694 ext 0
Salvation Army Homeless Shelters in Austin
- Downtown Shelter & Social Service Center – Open to all. 501 East 8th Street, 512-476-1111.
- Austin Shelter for Women & Children – 4523 Tannehill Lane, 512-933-0600.
- Community Action of Central Texas – Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program. 512-392-1161 ext 334.
- Salvation Army – Utility assistance (no deposits or fees paid). 512-754-8541.
- Southside Community Center/Society of St. Stephens – Rent & utility assistance. 512-392-6694 ext 0.
- Vincent de Paul – Utility & food assistance. Focus on families with small children. 512-353-7394.
Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) Properties in San Marcos
The Federal Government gives tax credits to apartment complexes that provide discounted housing for low-income families. You must contact properties directly to get information regarding qualifications and application procedures.Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTCs) play a key role in the development and preservation of affordable rental housing for low-income households. Tax credits provide a source of equity financing that multifamily developers can use to create affordable rental housing. There are two types of housing tax credits: competitive (9%) and non-competitive (4%). The state of Texas’ housing tax credit program is administered by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs.
Apartments that serve all family types:
1350 Wonder World Drive
345 Champion Boulevard
Country Oaks Apartments
1951 Aquarena Springs Drive
1800 Post Road
Mission Trail at El Camino Real
3085 Hwy 123
2913 Hunter Road
Villas at Willow Springs
1502 South Interstate Hwy 35
Apartments that serve seniors only:
1615 Redwood Road
*Some units include flashing light doorbells for hearing-impaired residents. Video phones available at community center.
2600 Hunter Road
Stone Brook Seniors
300 S. Stagecoach Trail
500 Parker Drive
Find other properties in the region using this online tool: https://lihtc.huduser.gov/
FREE APARTMENT LOCATION SERVICES**
- Apartment Pros, 1302 University Drive, Suite B, 512-805-0124
- Apartment Experts, 1330 Aquarena Springs Drive, 512-805-0124
** General guidelines: Income must be 3 X the monthly rent (LIHTC units may require as low as 2 X monthly rent). Some apartments will accept a guarantor. Must have no previous felony convictions and no previous landlord issues.
Information on this page was last updated in March 2022.
DOWNLOAD A PDF COPY HERE: Housing Assistance – San Marcos, Texas