You are hereFrequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for public housing?

You can pick up an application at Allen Wood Homes. When you turn in your application you are applying for housing at Allen Woods or CM Allen. To apply for housing at Springtown Villas or Chapultepec Homes you must contact those housing sites.


How long is the waiting list?

Anywhere from 6 months to a year. It could be longer or shorter depending on the qualifying unit size.


What documentation is needed to apply?

Social Security cards, City/State Issued birth certificates (will not accept hospital birth certificates), state issued identification, income information.


Is rent calculated by income?

Yes, the Total Tenant Payment (rent + utilities) is calculated 30% of the family's adjusted gross monthly income. We allow deductions from income for dependents, child care expenses, and medical expenses for elderly and disabled residents.


What is the time frame to return applications?

7 days. No exceptions.


How can I pick up an application?

You must come to the office and sign the application out as long as we are accepting applications for the qualifying unit.


Is section 8 taking applications?

Yes. Apply at the Section 8 office at 1201 Thorpe Lane.


Do you verify rental history?

 Yes. We submit landlord verifications with current and past landlords.


Do you check criminal backgrounds? 

 Yes we run criminal background checks for every adult member of the household.


Do you have to have children to live in public housing?

 No. The bedroom size of the unit is determined by the number of household members.


Do you have to be working?

 No. However, you must have some form of income to be able to pay for your monthly utility bills.


What types of programs are offered to families living in housing?

We offer a wide variety of self-sufficiency programs for our residents. Please see the Resident Services tab for more information.


Are there income limits?

Yes, there are income limitations for housing. Please see the chart below. However, you should still complete an application to be sure you qualify.


FY 2016 Income Limits for Hays County

(80% of Median Income)

Median Income

1 Person

2 Person

3 Person

4 Person

5 Person

6 Person

7 Person

8 Person










NOTE: Hays County is part of the Austin-Round Rock, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), so all information presented here applies to all of the Austin-Round Rock, TX MSA, which contains the following areas: Bastrop County, TX ; Caldwell County, TX ; Hays County, TX ; Travis County, TX ; and Williamson County, TX .